Frequently asked questions
What is the Tavistock & Portman Digital Academy?
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust has created a portfolio of online-only short courses, which we’re calling the Digital Academy.
We’ve developed our Digital Academy courses using a design that reflects our unique learning model, as well as modern online learning best practice.
We want the Digital Academy to be open to all, wherever you are in your career, your learning journey and your life.
How do I register for a course?
Once you’ve decided on your course, click the ‘Book Now’ link on the course page. This will take you through to the Tavistock & Portman Trust’s booking system, called MyTAP.
If you’re registering for a Masterclass (1 hour), Mini Course (5 hours), or Short Course (20 hours), you’ll be asked for some basic information about yourself, and your debit or credit card details to pay.
When you’ve paid for your course, we’ll send you a link to our online learning platform, Moodle.
If you’re registering for a Trust Certificate, you’ll be asked to submit more detailed information about yourself, as Trust Certificates have specific entry requirements (please see the relevant course page) and include an interview with a Trust clinician.
When you’ve submitted your Trust Certificate application, it will be reviewed by our course team and if your application is successful, you’ll be invited to an online interview. We’ll send you an offer with details on how to accept your place and how to pay if your interview is successful.
How long do I have access to the courses?
- 1 hour Masterclass: Once you’ve attended the livestream session, we’ll send you a link to the recording which will be available for one month after the live session.
- 5 hour Mini Course: You’ll have access to the course and its materials for one year after you’ve registered and paid.
- 20 hour Short Course: The course is delivered over four weeks, and you’ll have access to the course and its materials for one year in total.
- 200 hour Trust Certificate: The course is delivered over an academic year, and you’ll have access to the course and its materials for 12 months in total.
Do I get a certificate?
Yes! Once you’ve successfully completed your Mini Course and Short Course we’ll send you a digital certificate showing the number of Continuing Professional Development hours you’ve gained.
Once you’ve successfully completed your Trust Certificate, we’ll send you a Trust Certificate from the Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust.
How do I pay for a course?
We accept debit/credit card payments via our website for Masterclasses, Mini Courses and Short Courses.
Trust Certificates can be paid in full or in instalments. We’ll send you full details about this when you receive your offer letter.
If your booking is being funded by a sponsor or an employer, or you are booking a group on behalf of your organisation, you can pay by invoice or bank transfer (BACS).
To request an invoice, pay by BACS or require more information on group bookings, please contact email@example.com and we will be happy to help.
How can I pay by invoice?
If your booking is being funded by a sponsor or an employer, or you are booking a group on behalf of your organisation, you can request to pay by invoice. We cannot invoice individuals, only organisations.
To issue an invoice, the following information must be supplied when booking:
- confirmation of course name, start date and number of attendees
- name and contact details of person responsible for authorising the invoice
- name and full address details of the organisation to be invoiced
- a Purchase Order number. If POs are not used, please provide a scan of your organisation’s letterhead
To request an invoice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help. There’s no need to start a booking on the website – details will be provided.
Please read points 11.3, 11.4 and 11.5 SPONSORED DELEGATES in our terms and conditions, which state the delegate’s responsibility for paying course fees, before submitting a request for an invoice.
Can I make a group booking?
Absolutely! If you’re looking to book multiple places on a Digital Academy course for a group or for your organisation, we can help. Just send an email to DigitalAcademy@tavi-port.ac.uk providing the following information:
- Name of the course
- Start date of the course
- Number of places you’d like to book
- Confirmation of how you’d like to pay (invoice, bank transfer, debit/credit card)
If you’re paying by invoice, we’ll ask you to provide the name, address and contact details of the invoicee along with a Purchase Order number (or a scanned letterhead from your organisation if you don’t use POs).
Once your booking is confirmed, we’ll ask for the names and email addresses of all delegates to send them individual enrolment instructions. We’ll be on hand to help delegates access the course and answer any questions they may have along the way.
For more information on group bookings, visit our organisation training page.
What types of courses can I take?
The Digital Academy offers four different courses to suit your interest, time availability or level:
- 1 hour Masterclass: A 1-hour live-streamed presentation, conversation or panel discussion followed by a moderated Q&A session.
- 5 hour Mini Course: A self-directed online subject taster with no tutor interaction. You can access the course at any time and complete it at you own pace. Course materials include short videos, multiple-choice quizzes, and online reading.
- 20 hour Short Course: You will join an online cohort for a more detailed subject introduction, delivered over a month and structured into four weekly topics. Course materials include short videos, multiple-choice quizzes, online reading, reflective tasks, and a live tutor discussion session. Short courses run once a month throughout the year.
- 200 hour Trust Certificate: A year-long online course, which will introduce the key concepts of a subject and give you the core knowledge for progression onto other qualifications. Features include live tutor seminars and facilitated discussion groups exploring experiences and observations, short videos, multiple-choice quizzes, online reading, and a self-reflective journal.
Do I have to start my course at a certain time?
- 1 hour Masterclass: We run Masterclass livestreams at specific times throughout the year. Register your interest to find out when!
- 5 hour Mini Course: You can apply for and start a Mini Course at any time. You will have access to the course and its materials for a total of one year. Access begins the day after you’ve registered and paid, when you will receive login details by email.
- 20 hour Short Course: Short courses run once a month and have a maximum class size limit, so once a class is full the next month’s session will be made be available.
- 200 hour Trust Certificate: The course is delivered once per academic year, starting in the autumn term.
Is the Tavistock & Portman Digital Academy an accredited organisation?
The Digital Academy has been developed and is run by the Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust, based in the Tavistock Centre in London, UK.
For 100 years, the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust has been a trusted pioneer in mental health and wellbeing. Today, we deliver a relevant, reflective approach, and real-life application of our teaching through our online Digital Academy. More details can be found here: https://tavistockandportman.nhs.uk/about-us/who-we-are/
In addition, the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust is a member of The CPD Certification Service, and a number of our Digital Academy courses have been independently assessed and approved for Continuing Professional Development purposes. This means that the courses comply with universally-accepted principles of Continual Professional Development (CPD) and have been structured to meet the criteria of personal development plans. For these courses, your Digital Academy certificate will carry the CPD Certified symbol.
Where can I go for help?
If you have any questions, issues, feedback or worries, please contact us at: email@example.com
What are the system requirements?
Our bespoke Virtual Learning Environment is based on the latest version of Moodle and is accessible from both desktop and mobile.
Moodle is compatible with any standards compliant web browser and has been tested using the following browsers:
On a Desktop:
On a mobile:
- Google Chrome
For the best experience and optimum security, we recommend that you keep your browser up to date. https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/
Internet Explorer is no longer supported.
What support do I get from tutors?
- 1 hour Masterclass: You can submit questions at the end of the livestream session. Questions will be moderated and we will try to answer as many as we can.
- 5 hour Mini Course: Mini Courses are self-directed, which mean you can access the course at any time and complete it at you own pace. For this reason, they do not include tutor support.
- 20 hour Short Course: You will join an online cohort, delivered over a month and have a live tutor group session at an agreed point.
- 200 hour Trust Certificate: A year-long online course, which will introduce the key concepts of a subject. Students will have regular live tutor seminars and facilitated discussion groups each month, along with a termly 1-1 session with a tutor.
Can I access content on my phone?
Yes! The Digital Academy is available and optimised for mobile.
Once you’re registered and have received your confirmation email, just click the link and login on your phone or tablet.
Can I extend my enrolment if I need more time?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have issues during your course and our dedicated team can help you.
Can I enrol if I don’t live in the UK?
Yes! We welcome learners from anywhere in the world.
All Digital Academy course are delivered remotely and are therefore not eligible for visas.
Please note that courses are delivered in UK English, so you will need to have a good level of English language competence (e.g. equivalent to IELTs 6.5 or similar) to make the most of the learning experience. There is no specific formal requirement when applying to or booking Digital Academy courses.
Are there any English language requirements for Digital Academy courses?
No. Our Masterclasses, Mini Courses and Short Courses are open to all.
There are no formal English language requirements when applying for our Digital Academy Trust Certificate but a good level of competence is recommended for this year-long course. If applicants reach interview stage, language skills can be discussed with the course lead.
All Digital Academy courses are delivered and assessed in UK English.
Can I review the terms and conditions before I book a place on a Digital Academy course?
Yes, of course! When you book your place, you’ll be shown the terms and conditions. They tell you who we are, how we will provide the course to you, details regarding payment of fees, how long you have access to the course for, how we amend or end a contract and other important information.
If you’re paying for a place with an invoice, it’s important that you read points 11.3, 11.4 and 11.5 before booking.