This is a free Masterclass for adoptive parents and older adopted young people.
The session will be led by Alison Roy, who is an author, Clinical Lead for a specialist adoption service and a Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist. She will be joined by Consultant Social Worker and Senior Fellow HEA, Robin Solomon. The Masterclass will include a number of readings from the recently-published book, A For Adoption – all focusing on the voices of adoptive parents and adopted young people.
Prior to the Masterclass, you will be given the opportunity to provide questions for Alison and Robin to address during the session.
This Masterclass aims to help adoptive parents and older adopted young people to make sense of their stories or histories. We will discuss a number of themes which may resonate with your own adoption journey, including feelings of loss and trauma, the challenges of living with unanswered questions, and the difficulties of having more than one family “in mind”. We will explore ways to understand and find meaning in these experiences, and build up resilience for tougher times.
- We will reflect on the experience of adoptive parents, who can often feel scrutinized, misunderstood, isolated, or “not good enough”.
- We will discuss feelings of separation and loss – losses experienced by adoptive parents, as well as by adopted children.
- We will explore trauma and attachment difficulties, and how these can appear within family dynamics.
- We will address themes relating to identity and belonging, and how adopted young people can feel “between” two worlds and families.
- We will explore how to build resilience during tougher times – discussing the importance of understanding these confusing feelings, and having a ‘companion’ on the journey, who understands these issues.
- We will discuss contact with birth parents – the risks and challenges associated with this, and some ways of exploring it as a family.
Who is this course for?
This Masterclass is for adoptive parents and older adopted young people, as well as friends and family members who wish to understand more about adoption.
If you are a professional working in this area, our A for Adoption – Relationships Matter Masterclass is for you.
There are no requirements for this Masterclass, and attendance is free. Once you’ve registered, we’ll send you a link to the Zoom video platform, where you will watch the live session. There’s no assessment associated with this Masterclass, just click the link and watch!
This Masterclass will be delivered live via Zoom on Wednesday 21 July 2021 at 6:00pm UK time, and will last approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Please note that bookings will close at midnight on the day before the Masterclass, but if you contact us directly for any last-minute bookings, we’ll do our best to help.